I love all things sweet, chocolate, candy, cake, give it all to me please! But only on a Sunday, when I allow myself such a treat. If only our bodies were designed to process these foods so that they didn’t find a home on our thighs!
My thighs love cake, but I don’t love my thighs if I overindulge. So I satisfy my sweet tooth with sneaky little treats that don’t pile on the calories, yet still delight the taste buds.
A favourite afternoon snack of mine are Raw Cacao Balls. I have two in the afternoon, and they keep me going until dinner time. They are super quick and easy to prepare, you will however need a food processor/blender.
Raw Cacao Balls
- 300g mixed nuts
- 60g chocolate protein powder
- 16 pitted dates
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp goji berries
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Put the nuts, protein powder, cacao, cinnamon and ginger into your food processor and blend until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Add the dates and agave syrup and blend until the dates are completely chopped and the mixture starts to stick together.
- Remove from the food processor, place the mixture in the bowl and add the pumpkin seeds, goji berries and coconut.
- Using your hands, knead the mixture together so the seeds, berries and coconut are evenly distributed. The mixture will still feel quite crumbly at this stage.
- Take small handfuls, (approximately 2 tsps) of the mixture and press together firmly between your hands, shaping it into a ball. If the mixture does not stick at all, add a little more agave and knead together again.
- Keep the Cacao Balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you are not able to find cacao powder, use a good quality cocoa powder instead. The same goes for agave, substitute it for maple syrup, but make sure it’s the real thing, not maple FLAVOURED syrup which is full of refined sugar.
You can add your favourite spices and seeds to the ingredients, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, mixed spice. Go wild!