Gluten Free Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
FINALLY I’ve made a batch of gluten free donuts that actually look like a regular donut. I’m over the moon! Gluten free baking can be one of the most frustrating things ever.
I can’t tell you how many cakes/cookies/donuts I’ve tried to bake, only to throw them straight in the bin. They’re either too dry, too crumbly, they’ve sunk in the middle or I can’t even get them to lift off the pan. Gluten free baking was becoming an expensive, unsuccessful hobby which I found hideously depressing due to my life long love of baking.
Whilst Googling ‘Gluten Free Donuts’ one afternoon, in a bid to find a recipe that might just be successful, I stumbled across Grain Changer, run by a gluten free foodie called Leah. There’s a bunch of delicious looking recipes, including donuts. A-maz-ing looking donuts. Leah also has a recipe to make a gluten free flour blend (for the gluten eating lot, baking with just gluten free flour leads to failure! Therefore a blend of all sorts of interesting things are used, from gf flour to potato starch to xanthan gum), so I purchased all the necessary bits and bobs and got down to flour blending business one Sunday afternoon. I was giving this gluten free donut baking malarky one last try.
Once I’d created my flour blend I followed the Grain Changer Carrot Cake Donuts recipe, but adapted my recipe to make regular vanilla flavoured donuts with cream cheese frosting. This gluten free donut recipe was super quick and easy to make, and whilst I think a little more practice might just make perfect, they were still pretty darn tasty, particularly with that cream cheese frosting!
So here it is folks, a successful gluten free donut recipe dedicated to you GF lot!…..
- 85g brown sugar
- 50g white caster sugar
- 112ml oil (I used rapeseed)
- 2 eggs
- 70g greek yoghurt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 210g gluten-free all purpose flour blend
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 60g chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 210g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and lightly spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Cream together the sugars and oil. Add in the greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in the shredded carrot and mix quickly.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (if necessary), cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well. Add the ½ cup pecans to the batter, and mix just until evenly dispersed.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag or a large plastic bag with a corner snipped off, and evenly pip the better into the donut pan cavities.
- Bake the donuts at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees without opening the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes, or until slightly golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the donuts to a cooking rack.
- To make the icing, beat together the softened butter and cream cheese, add in the vanilla, followed by the powdered sugar, and beat until smooth. Add in the milk ½ teaspoon at a time, until the cream cheese frosting is sufficiently thinned out.
- Once the donuts are cool, dip the top side into the cream cheese frosting. Return to the cooling rack and sprinkle the tops of the donuts with the remaining ¼ cup of toasted pecan pieces.